Car accidents, even if minor, can be a frightening experience. It can also be tough to focus enough afterward to think of what to do next. At Salt Lake Valley Buick GMC, we've created a guide to help drivers learn how to file a car insurance claim, a car accident claim, and even who to call first. Read on to learn more today! If you're in need of vehicle repairs, don't hesitate to contact our service center
What to Do After a Car Accident Checklist
Steps to Take Following Minor Accidents
There are a few precautions each driver should take no matter if in a major or minor accident. Here are some of the steps you should take following a minor accident:
- The first thing you should do is check to see if you are injured or need medical attention. If you are fine, check to see if other passengers are injured. If they are injured, you should call an ambulance.
- If you are able to, you should try to pull your vehicle off to the side of the road so you’re not blocking traffic.
- After you have gotten your car to a safe spot, you should call the police, even if the other driver or drivers involved tell you not to. It’s important to have official documentation of what happened, and most insurance companies will require a police report of the accident.
- While you are waiting for the police to arrive, you should exchange the proper information with the other driver. This includes phone numbers, email addresses, insurance cards, license plate numbers, and a photo of everyone’s driver’s licenses.
- After exchanging all of the proper information, you should assess the damage to your vehicle, as well as the other driver’s damage to their vehicle. Take some photos of both vehicles and, if you can, the area where the accident occurred.
- The final thing you should do is call your insurance provider. Even though they will receive a police report of the accident, it’s important you give them the details sooner rather than later.
Steps to Take Following Major Accidents
Since major accidents can result in critical injuries or even fatalities, there are a few different steps you'll want to be aware of and take if you're ever in this situation. Here is what Ogden drivers should do following a major accident:
- The first thing you will want to do is to call 911 for an ambulance right away. Don’t worry about documenting the accident scene if you or another person needs serious medical attention. 911 will send an ambulance with police who will document the scene and gather information.
- The next step you should take is to contact your insurance provider. Knowing how to file a car insurance claim is an overlooked post-accident process. You should describe all the details to your insurance provider, so they can properly assess what you may be owed.
- Once everything has been documented and taken care of, you should follow up with your physician even if you aren’t feeling any noticeable pain in your body.
Filing a Car Accident Insurance Claim
While this isn't the first thing on your list when in an accident, it's important to know how to file a car insurance claim. Filing a car accident insurance claim is pretty easy as long as you have the proper paperwork to show your insurance provider. The key is having the right documents in order. Here's what you'll need:
- Your insurance policy number
- A detailed description of how the accident occurred
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- All the collected contact and insurance information from other involved parties
- Name of the police department involved, as well as the police report number (if applicable)
After submitting these, your vehicle will be evaluated by an insurance adjuster who will help you estimate the cost of the repairs needed, the coverage on them, and more. If the photos and police reports are not sufficient, you may need to bring your vehicle in to be inspected.
Once you show your provider the documentation, your vehicle will be assessed. Then you will receive an estimate on the cost of repairs, coverage, and a few other factors. If you're in need of a new vehicle
, our team can help you save more. Check out our inventory online and talk with our finance team
to see what we can do for you.Drive Safer with Salt Lake Valley Buick GMC
Once you're ready to get behind the wheel of a new model, or if you're looking for more service tips, get in touch
with our team! Our service team is more than happy to assist with any repairs and our finance team is standing by to help you find the new model that's right for you.