How to Replace a Dead Key Fob
Wondering how to replace a dead key fob for your GM manufactured vehicle? You’re not alone! Although the key fobs used by many GM vehicles are useful, they aren’t always what South Salt Lake drivers are used to. Keep reading to learn how to replace a dead key fob and then how to program it for your vehicle from the Salt Lake Valley Buick GMC service team.
Where to Replace a Dead Key Fob
If you lose track of the remote start key fob for your GMC or Buick vehicle, the team at Salt Lake Valley Buick GMC can help. The easiest place to find a replacement for your dead key fob is at a certified dealership like ours. That way, you can be sure you’re getting a genuine GMC or Buick key fob that will work perfectly with your vehicle. By reaching out to our parts department you can get started on getting a new key fob today. You can even order one online.
Now that you know how to replace a dead key fob, you’ll also need to know how to program a new one. Once you have your replacement in hand, follow these steps:
- Unlock your car door manually with the mechanical key.
- Shut all the car doors. Then, insert the key into the ignition without starting the car.
- Turn your key to the “On” position while pressing and holding the unlock button on the driver’s side door. The engine won’t come on, but the interior lights and radio will.
- Turn the key back to the “Off” position, then turn it to “On” and right back to “Off” once again in quick succession. (On - Off - On - Off)
- Release the unlock button.
- After releasing the unlock button, you should hear the door locks engage and disengage, telling you that the programming sequence can begin.
- On your key fob, press and hold the “Unlock” and “Lock” buttons simultaneously until you hear the door locks engage and disengage again, indicating that you have successfully programmed your key fob.
- Re-insert the newly programmed key into the ignition in the “On” position to end the programming sequence.
Whether you have a GMC Canyon or a Buick Encore key fob, you can follow these steps to program it. If you have any questions during the process, be sure to contact us and ask! We want you to be back on the road as soon as possible.
Salt Lake Valley Buick GMC Can Offer More Help
If you need any other help with your vehicle, schedule service at our dealership in the Salt Lake City area today and we’ll be happy to see you. You can also check our other service tips and tricks if you’d like to fix an issue yourself!